This article will help you answer the following questions:
- I have booked the morning/evening train but want to travel in the evening/morning. How do I change the time of my train?
- I have booked economy/first class train. How do I change the type of my ticket?
- I booked online but got the wrong seat. How do I change/select my seat number?
Most travellers consider the online booking system convenient, efficient and a faster way to plan their trips. The SGR is specifically a faster and safer way to travel between Nairobi and Mombasa because there is no traffic jam to keep you on the road and no tired drivers to dodge. However, you need to be very careful when booking your ticket online.
Some of the disadvantages of booking online are;
- Seat selection is not possible on the online booking platform. The SGR online booking system is not the same as that of flight booking where you select your preferred seat during booking. You get an automatic seat selection which you cannot change. It is impossible to know whether your seat is on the window or aisle. If you want to select a specific seat or are travelling with friends, you need to go to the SGR booking office for manual booking as this is the only way to book a specific seat.
- Time selection is automatic. You must know the type of train that travels at your preferred time. There are two trains namely the intercounty (morning train) and express (express train).
How to change your train booking
To change the details of your current train booking, you need to cancel your current booking and rebook using the new details. A surcharge fee of 20% is applied on your ticket, amounting to KES 200 and 600 for economy and first class tickets respectively.
Follow these steps:
- Visit the SGR office in Syokimau.
- Print your ticket if you printed online.
- Check train availability on your preferred train.
- Buy a new ticket using new details.
- Apply for previous ticket cancellation.
- Get an 80% refund on the old ticket.
- Get your new ticket.
If you have cash, this process is faster. Just present the ticketing tellers with your old ticket and the travel details you need to change. Once the new ticket details have been confirmed, you will be asked to pay the 20 % fee and then receive your new ticket.
Have any question about the SGR? Let us know in the comments box below and we shall try to give as much information as we are able to.